1700: Shoemaking was probably carried on by itinerant cobblers going from house to house.
Rice Tavern, today (2008) a funeral home, was constructed in the early 1700's. It was considered the halfway mark between Boston and Plymouth.
1702-1713: Queen Anne's War is the North American extension of the European War known as the War of the Spanish Succession.
1717: An "exceeding great snow" fell on February 21, 1717.
1720 There were approximately 100 families scattered in small neighborhoods in the south part of Weymouth. Most of them were in the vicinity of what came to be known as the "Old City" which was absorbed by the Naval Air Station.
1721/23: Weymouth residents in the southern part of town found that attending worship service at First Church, the North Church, was difficult. Consequently they built a meeting house on Bayley Green in what is now (2008) Columbian Square. In 1722 the group petitioned the General Court for recognition as a separate precinct. In 1723 their request was granted and the Second Congregational Church of Weymouth was organized.
1723: A new schoolhouse was built so that education could be conducted in each of the two town parishes.
1733: The town voted to give twenty pounds to any person that will take two of the children of the Widow Ruth Harvey and take care of them until they are eighteen.
1740-1748: The European War of the Austrian Succession was known in the colonies as King George's War.
1740: Arnold's Tavern was built on Commercial Street, near Weymouth Landing. It was located across the street from Wales Hotel which became the parish home of Sacred Heart Church's priests.
1744: Abigail Smith was born on November 11, 1744. Abigail became the wife or John Adams, who became this nation's second president. She also became mother to John Quincy Adams, this nations's sixth president.
1751: The North Meeting House, built in 1682, was used to store gun powder. In 1751 it burned. In the words of Reverend William Smith, it "made a surprising noise when it blew up." A large proportion of Weymouth's population perished from a "throat distemper" in 1851. One book says one tenth of the population died in this manner. Another book says one eighth of the population died and a third book says 110 people died. In any event it was a widespread tragedy.
1752: Great Britain and its colonies adopt the Gregorian calendar of 1582. In September 1752 elevben days were dropped from the calendar. The same legislative enactment shortened the yea 1751 three months by changing the starting date of the year from March 25th to January 1st. Births occurring in January, February and March of what would have been 1751 are recorded as 1751-52.
1751-1763: The French and Indian War was the final colonial strugbgle which ended French and British disputes over North American territory. Its European counterpart was The Seven Years War.
1755: French inhabitants of Acadia are dispersed to other English colonies. Acadia is renamed Nova Scotia when the Engtlish take control. This formed the basis of the Henry Wadsworth Longfellow poem "Evangeline." The poem "Evangeline" was a common reading assignment in the Weymouth schools in the mid twentieth century.
1764: Abigail Smith and John Adams are married in October of 1764.
1765: Colson's grist mill was erected along the Mill River, not far from Great Pond.
1770: About 1770 a deposit of iron ore (bog iron) was discovered in Great Pond, then known as South Pond. The manufacture of nails and other iron products was started. The Wales Hotel, built as a house in 1770, the building once offered bed and board to George Washington. In 1990 the cellar still had its original horse stalls and the first ice room on the South Shore. At the close of the twentieth century the building was torn down, the cellar retained and a new priest's house built on the foundation.
1773: Samuel Arnold's shipyard starts operations at the confluence of the Monatiquot and Fore Rivers. It continues in operation until 1812.
1775: The "Midnight Ride of Paul Revere" occurs on the 18th of April. Weymouth Minutemen respond to Lexington alarm and march to Roxbury. On May 21st the "Battle of Grape Island," Weymouth occurred.
1776: The Declaration of Independence is read, for the first time in Weymouth, by Reverend William Smith at a church service, August 11, 1776. The Revolutionary War is in progress. The quota called from Weymouth is ten.
1779: Brigadier General Solomon Lovell was sent by Massachusetts on the "Penobscot Expedition." The purpose of the expedition was to rout British sympathizers. Weymouth built its first workhouse for the indigent on land that is now part of Saint Francis Xavier Cemetery.
1783: The Revolutionary War ends.
1785: South Church builds its second meeting house.
1790: Two grammar and two English schools were kept for six months of the year. The first federal census was taken. Weymouth's official opulation was 1,469.
1792: The United States issues coinage for the first time.
1793: Norfolk County was formed and Weymouth was made a part of it. Weymouth previously was a part of Suffolk County.
1797: Weymouth's first permanent school committee was established.
From 1798 to 1800 the United States fought an undeclared war with France.
1799: Eight school districts were established.
1701-1800: In the eighteenth century the old Plymouth Post Road, now Commercial Street, served as the main route through the town of Weymouth. Stage coaches stopped in Weymouth Landing at the Wales Inn and in East Weymouth at the Rice Tavern. Wales Inn became the rectory of Sacred Heart Church and the Rice Tavern became the Peck Funeral Home. Horses were watered at Avonia Spring at the corner of Essex and Commercial Streets.